Monday, March 22, 2010

Meg's Weight Watchers version of "Irish Colcannon"

I am Irish, but know nothing of my heritage.  I wanted to celebrate St. Patrick's Day this year with food.  I admit, I miss the typical corned dish of St. Paddy's Day.  But, I found a dish that will be in me repertoire for years to come, and not consumed solely on St. Paddy's Day!  Here is my version of Colcannon, veggied up so better on the WW plan.

Irish Colcannon

1.5 lbs red potatoes, washed and diced 490 cals, .7 fat, 11.6 fiber


1 T oil 119 cals, 13.5 fat

1 onion, chopped 46 cal, .1 fat 1.5 fiber

1 bunch ramps, whites only, chopped 54 cals, .3 fat, 1.6 fiber (leek data from calorie king - 1 leek)

2 cloves garlic, minced 9 cals, .1 fiber

1/2 large head organic cabbage, small chop 218 cals, .9 fat. 18.2 fiber

1 head organic kale, wshed, drained and small chop 100 cals, 1.4 fat, 4 fiber

1/2 C light soymilk 35 cals, 1 fat, .5 fiber

1/4 C light non-hydrogenated margarine 150 cals, 15 fat

salt and pepper to taste



Cover potatoes with just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, salt water and reduce to medium low, cover and simmer until fork tender.





While potatoes are cooking, saute onion, leek, and garlic in oil on medium for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add cabbage and kale, salt and pepper. Stir until it starts to soften, cover and cook on medium low heat for about 10 minutes, until softened.



Drain cooked potatoes, add soymilk (warm if eating right away) and margarine. Mash with a potato masher. Add in cabbage mixture and stir.



Whole recipe data

1221 cals

33 fat (32.9)

37.5 fiber



Data for non-zero point ingredients, whole recipe

794 cals

30.2 fat

12.1fiber



Oh my gosh, so good!  I don't count pernts for zero point veggies.  I am losing weight that way, and I am okay with that!

I also made a yummy green juice to celebrate.  It had:

1 organic granny smith apple
1 organic anjou pear
1/2 organic lime, peeled
1  orange (only non-green ingredient)
2" or so peeled ginger
1/2 small cucumber, peeled

Yum!  I so miss fresh juices.

So, I was able to celebrate St. Paddy's Day, stayed on plan, and didn't consume any icky green beer.  Ick!  Eew!

Week 1 weigh in at last weeks meeting netted a 1.4 # loss.  My goal, 10/10/10 to be down 30 pounds released.  I will be happy with more, but I won't beat myself up if I lose less.  I rejoined meetings on 3/10/10.  10/10/10 just has a nice ring to it!

No comments: