Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spinach Bean Soup



Saturday, I soaked a bowl of Great Northern Beans, I didn't measure.  Sunday, I cooked them.  Yesterday, I made Spinach Bean Soup.  It needs a little umph, but it is good, and colorful!

2 t canola oil
1 onion, chopped
4 carrots, peeled, sliced in half and chopped
3-4 ribs celery, chopped
1 zucchini, cut in quarters and chopped
1 can diced tomatoes (I used Italian)
3 C cooked Great Northern Beans
1 bag chopped frozen spinach, thawed and slightly drained
1-2 C low-sodium veggie broth (I used Trader Joe's)
kosher salt and pepper to taste
Dried Basil to taste
dash cayenne

Saute onion in oil until slightly soft.  Add carrot and celery, saute for about 5 minutes.  Add zucchini and cook for a minute or two.  Add remaining ingredients and enough water to give soup consistency you prefer.  You can do more broth if you like.  I wanted to control the sodium, so I used broth and water.  Simmer on low for about 20-30 minutes.  Don't let veggies get too soft.  Everything is cooked, you just want to marry flavors and bring it to temp.

The whole recipe is only 14 pernts!  And you can get 6 good sized servings!


Oh, and I stuck to my S'Bux plan, even though the mini pastry items are 3, not one.  I got the mini scone as the vanilla flavor went with the Skinny Vanilla Latte.  I was all set for one, and he gave me three.  I gave 2 away!

No comments: