Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Recipe and Roller Derby! - Corrected

Use 1 T Veggie Worcestershire Sauce in the soup/milk mixture!

I had a hankering for some fatty, unhealthy stroganoff.  The healthy me won out, and I settled for a light version.  Here is what I created last night.  It was pretty good.

Veggie Stroganoff

Heat 3 t canola oil over medium heat.  Add in half of a large onion, chopped.  Cook for a few minutes.  Add 1 bag Quorn "meat" crumbles and continue cooking.  While this is cooking, make 1 cube of un-chicken broth in boiling water and slice 6 medium mushroom caps into small chunks.  (You can use canned broth if you like, I just happen to have the cubed kind you rehydrate).  Add the mushroom to the pan, stirring into the crumbles and onions.  Add the broth a bit at a time to keep from sticking.  Let it simmer in a bit of the broth to help soften the mushrooms.  Add in 1 can of 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup (make sure its vegetarian), dried oregano and basil to taste, a dash of paprika for a little color, and 6 roasted garlic cloves smushed (or however many you prefer - you can saute fresh with the onions if you don't have roasted cloves available).  Add about one half cup light soymilk to the soup to thin.  Cook until bubbly and warm, and all ingredients are married.  Add a bit of freshly cracked black pepper and salt if needed.  To finish, blend in 1/4 light sour cream.

I had 3 servings as an end result, could very well be 4.  Heck, you could get 6 servings if not that hungry.  It would be good over pasta, but I didn't have the pernts available for that.  My count, 15 pernts for the whole recipe.  I didn't count the mushrooms and onions.   I ate it plain, as is, last night.  Today I had this over steamed green beans and it was reminiscent of Thanksgiving Green Bean Casserole.  Sure, it looks a little anemic, but stroganoff is supposed to look that way!



Here is an old video of the Tornado Sirens of the Naptown Roller Girls, my new idols!  Enjoy!  Four Leaf Cleaver and Touretta Lynn, both shown in interviews, are extremely nice women.  I have had the pleasure of meeting and talking with both of them, both urging me try out.  Maybe in November.  It is definitely my motivation to work out and lose weight.  I will be a derby girl someday!  For now, I am happy to be a non-skating official.


No comments: