Thursday, April 1, 2010

Vegan Mexican Tortilla Bake - well almost!

I got the VegNews email last week, and the recipe was a vegan tortilla bake.  Here is the recipe:

Mexican Tortilla Bake
Serves 4


1 tablespoon olive oil

1 large garlic clove, minced

1-1/2 cups cooked pinto beans or one 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed

1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained

1/4 teaspoon chili powder

Salt and pepper, to taste

1-1/2 cups prepared tomato salsa

4 ounces soft or silken tofu

2 tablespoons lime juice

12 6-inch flour tortillas

1 cup shredded vegan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9x13-inch baking dish. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the pinto beans, tomatoes, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.



2. In a food processor or blender, combine the salsa, tofu, lime juice, and 1/2 cup of the bean mixture. Process until well blended. Spread a thin layer of the tofu and salsa mixture over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Arrange 6 of the tortillas on top, overlapping as necessary. Spread the remaining bean mixture over the tortillas and cover with another layer of tortillas. Top with the remaining tofu-and-salsa mixture and sprinkle with the shredded cheese. Bake until hot and bubbly and lightly browned on top, about 30 minutes.

It is tasty, but looks nothing like the picture included with the email.  It is kind of flat.  I used white corn tortillas that I had.   I added some dried cilantro and cumin to the bean layers.  Next time, I will add some mexican spiced cooked veggie crumbles, and another can of beans.  The tofu puree is tasty, and I can imagine using it many other ways.  I didn't have vegan cheese, so I used the cheese I had.  Here are my results!



Before baking



After baking



Their casserole!

I figured this up as 35 pernts for whole recipe.  I didn't count pernts for the salsa and tomatoes.  I ate this as 6 servings, well I am still eating it.  So, roughly 6 pernts each if done as 6 servings.


No comments: