Thursday, April 15, 2010

The scale is tipping, in a good way!

Happy Thursday everyone! I hope you are enjoying this string of beautiful 80 degree days. Looks like the weather will change tomorrow, so get out and enjoy it today while it is dry and warm!

This morning, a friend asked my online group: “How do you balance life responsibilities with taking care of yourself?”

Here is my response: I actually experienced this last night. I got home for a brief stint after work. Fed the cats, let the dogs out which means walking them on a leash, fed the stray kitty, and then was able to change and do my things, like potty. I then left about 30 minutes later to go to Weight Watchers. Okay, that is me time.  I came home and had to let the dogs out again, entertain the dogs and kitties, clean the kitty litter, put the groceries away, clean out the fridge a bit, take out the trash, make something for dinner, unload the dishwasher and load it again…I finally said to the animals after I put the food away, give mommy 20 minutes so she can work out. Everything could wait 20 minutes. I could shelve my responsibilities for 20 minutes. I have a responsibility to myself to be healthy, and working out is part of that. If I had said, oh screw it, I would have felt guilty and remorseful, which could lead to eating, which could lead to not doing WW, which could lead to loads of unhappiness and weight gain. Yes, that one small moment could take me there. I knew it could, so I had to act on my desire. I am just grateful a silly workout dvd called to me and not Dairy Queen.

I lost another pound this week, for a total of 9.2 in 5 weeks! Total from last October, I am down 18 pounds. But, I look like I am down more than 18 pounds. My inches, which I didn’t measure, are telling a different story. Don’t get me wrong, 18 pounds is wonderful. But, when I have many more to lose, just focusing on the scale can get a little slow and the desire to berate myself can increase. So, as my WW leader taught us last night, it’s good to track other things. Thus, I think I will take my measurements. I hope I can find a tape measure. If not, I will track my exercise minutes and work to increase that.

My goal is to get to 30 pounds lost by 10/10/10. I am almost 33% there. So, did I set my goal too low or am I looking at a struggle once my weight loss slows down a bit? Who knows? I am not going to worry about it. If I pass 30 pounds, well then hot damn! If I don’t get there, I will have lost what I lost, lost inches and gained much athletic abilities. I cannot control the future, but I can work to change the outcomes ahead of me.

I am getting back into yoga tonight after missing it last night for WW. I am also going to do more. I want more exercise than yoga. I have some workout dvds in my Netflix queue, after I get another True Blood dvd, but for now I will do my Leslie Sansone. I think I will do the 30 minute dvd tonight. I can do that and then finish with the 30 minute Namaste Yoga on Fit Tv. Wow, I never ever thought I would be here. It feels good. I know I have to do this, number 1, to lose and keep my weight off. #2, to train to achieve my goal of being a derby girl. I may not ever tryout, and if I do, I may not make the team. I may decide I want to be a ref and that’s it. But, I do know I am to be a part of the derby, more than a spectator, and that I love to roller skate. I learned that Sunday. I am going Saturday at noon, I will be there when the doors open, or within a few minutes. I will skate for an hour to 2 hours. Then, I get to come home and shower and get ready to go to the last home bout of the Naptown Roller Girls! It will be sad, but it is a double header and it will be fun. They’ll be back. They aren’t going anywhere! And now I can take the $ for the monthly bout and put it towards roller skating practice.

Having goals is good. To reiterate what my WW leader said, be like Elmer Fudd. Find the rabbit twacks and search out your Bugs Bunny!

And as always, sprout something (seeds or seeds of change)!

Here's a yummy recipe from Vegetarian Times.  A friend made it and said you can cut the honey in half, they are very sweet!

Honey Braised Carrots

Veg Times
6 servings

6 large carrots, halved and cut into ¼” thick slices (4 cups)

2 medium shallots, sliced into thin rings (1/4 cup)

½ C honey

1 T cider vinegar

¼ C chopped fresh parsley

Place carrots and shallots in nonstick skillet, and heat over medium heat. Cook 2-4 minutes, or until beginning to brown.

Stir in honey, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Partially cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 15 minutes, or until carrots are tender. Uncover, stir in the vinegar, and increase the heat to medium-high.

Cook 2 minutes more. Stir in parsley, and serve.

¾ C serving = 126 cal, less than 1 g fat, 3 g fiber

2 comments:

Maya B. said...

Yum. I've made them a bunch of times since I first made them, because I bought 10 pounds of carrots at Costco! Congrats on your loss, Meg!

Meg - 33 Yrs old said...

I bought carrots on the way home last night. I am going to make them tonight. I am glad you liked the recipe.

Thanks Maya B! How are you?